- Category: USS Arizona Survivor Stories
- Last Updated: Saturday, 21 November 2015 23:21
- Published: Tuesday, 08 August 2000 00:00
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE OF JOHN EVANS
- Mayor Pro Tem - representing Southeast Dallas (District 7)
- Dallas City Council Committees:
- Chairman - Finance Committee
- Member - Housing, Health and Human Services Committee
- Ad-hoc Legislation Committee
- Municipal Affairs Committee
- Transportation Committee
- Public Safety Committee
- Business and Commerce Committee
- President of North Central Texas Council of Governments 1989-1990
- Member - Superconducting Super Collider Committee
- Chairman - Dallas City Planning Commission
- Member - Urban Rehabilitation Standards Board
- Helped start Dallas Crime Watch Program
- Member - Dallas 2000
- Founder - Aggie Feed Store 1953
- Board Member - Methodist Hospital Foundation
- Established "Friendship Agreement" between Monterey, Mexico and Dallas
- Awarded DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Honor Medal on March 17, 1988
- Member - Intergovernmental Coordinating Council for Children and Youth.
- PAST PRESIDENT: Pleasant Grove Rotary Club, Southeast Dallas Chamber of Commerce.
- PAST CHAIRMAN: Southeast Dallas Clean=up Campaign, Dallas Zoning Ordinance Advisory Board (ZOAC).
- VICE CHAIRMAN, MAYOR'S TASK FORCE: Mayor's Task Force - Southeast Dallas.
- MEMBER: Dallas Area Agency on Aging Advisory Council; Dallas County Public Health Advisory Committee; Advisory Council Circle 10 Council of Southern Cross District, Boy Scouts of America Sheriff's Advisory Training Committee; Sign Ordinance Committee; Sub-division Review Committee; Southeast Dallas Forum.
- BOARD MEMBER: Southeast Dallas YMCA, Gold Cross Foundation of Methodist Hospital, Dallas Can! Academy.
- TEACHER: Operation Lift (3 years)
- FOREMAN: Dallas County Grand Jury
- FUND RAISING COMMITTEE MEMBER: United Way, Heart Fund, Cancer Fund, Walk for Polio, Boy Scouts, Southeast Dallas YMCA, Clean Dallas Campaign, Slain Officer Baker.
- SPECIAL BOARDS/COMMITTEES: Dallas Transit System Retirement Committee; Municipal Solid Waste Management and Resource Recovery Committee; National League of Cities Transportation Steering Committee; President of North Central Texas Council of Governments; Transportation Policy Committee (1986-87); Trinity River Authority Committee; Greater Dallas Mobility Committee; Superconducting Super Collider Committee; Regional Transportation Committee (COG); Metropolitan Transportation Coalition Committee; Personnel Committee (COG).
- MILITARY: Enlisted U.S. Navy October 4, 1940. Began service on U.S.S. Arizona on December 3, 1940. Continued service on other ships through end of World War II. Received Presidential Unit Citation, American Defense Service Medal with four bronze stars, Philippine Liberation Medal, European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal and Good Conduct Medal.
- EDUCATION: Masters of Science, Texas A&M University. Bachelor of Science, Texas A&M University. Associate of Science, North Texas Agricultural College, Arlington Texas. Served on Texas A&M University Research and Faculty Staff 1950-53. High School Diploma, Crozier Tech High School, Dallas, Texas.
John Evans was born in Waterloo Alabama January 1, 1922. He and his wife, Ruth Smith Evans, are the parents of five children and the grandparents of fourteen grandchildren. The Evans Family has been a member of the First Baptist Church in Dallas since 1947.
Information researched and compiled by I. B. Nease and N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.
- << Prev