- Category: USS Arizona Casualty List
- Created: Monday, 21 February 2000 00:00
- Last Updated: Saturday, 23 July 2016 03:58
Vivan Louis Young
Water Tender First Class
V. L. YOUNG
- Name: Vivan Louis Young
- Branch: United States Navy (possibly Reserve)
- Service Number: 341 12 72
- Rate: WT1/c (Water Tender First Class)
- Duties: Take charge of fireroom when under way. Maintain, repair, and overhaul boiler system.
- Enlisted: 1920
- Reenlisted: 27 June 1940
- Onboard USS Arizona: 25 June 1941
- From: NTS San Diego
- Date of Birth: 25 April 1900
- Place of Birth: Thomas County, Kansas
- Hometown / State December 1941: Alameda, California
- Next of Kin: Mrs. G. W. Jacobs - Sister
- Address: 2101 Farragut Court, Alameda, California
- Father: Jeremiah "Jerry" "Bud" Young (1877 IA to 1964 KS)
- Mother: Edna (Daily), Young, Johnson, Wharton (1879 NE to 1955 CO)
- Disposition: Unrecoverable – Among the 900+ souls still onboard the USS Arizona
- Posthumous Awards: Purple Heart, American Defense Service Medal w/Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/Star, WWII Victory Medal
Vivan Young was born on a farm north of Levant, Kansas. He attended grade school at the Bunker Hill school and received later education in Colorado. He joined the Navy in 1920 and after 20 years of service was pensioned in 1940. In the Naval expansion program, he rejoined the Navy and was on active duty when the treacherous attack came at Pearl Harbor.
He was survived by his father, Bud Young, his mother, Mrs. Edna Wharton, of South Fork, Colo.; a brother, Roy; and his half-brothers and sisters, Ray, Alvin, Bill, Leora, Elva, Eva, and Jane.
I do not know why all the casualty lists show him from Virginia. The only explanations I can come up is he may have reenlisted from Virginia.
Information researched and compiled by N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
Additional research provided by Benjamin Suber, MS Candidate, GIS & Technology, University of Southern California
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.