- Category: USS Arizona Casualty List
- Created: Monday, 21 February 2000 00:00
- Last Updated: Sunday, 12 June 2016 06:44
Joel Beman Cowden
Seaman Second Class
J. B. COWDEN
- Branch: United States Navy
- Service Number: 393 44 62
- Rate: S2c (Seaman Second Class)
- Duties: Know naval drill duties, knots, steering and signaling. Stand watch and gunnery duties.
- Enlisted: 3 December 1940
- Onboard USS Arizona: 26 June 1941
- From: NTS San Diego, California
- Date of Birth: 1916
- Place of Birth: Oregon
- Hometown / State December 1941: Kansas City, Missouri
- Next of Kin: Mrs. Alma Cowden Jepson - Mother
- Address: 574 E. 14th St., Eugene, Oregon
- Disposition: Unrecoverable – Among the 900+ souls still onboard the USS Arizona
- Posthumous Awards: Purple Heart, American Defense Service Medal w/Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal w/Star, WWII Victory Medal
Note Regarding Photo: Photo appeared in the Eugene Register-Guard - Aug 22, 1943, article "Purple Heart to Late Joel Cowden" but the uniform seems incorrect for his rank of S2c. I am researching the validity of the photo. It may be incorrect photo.
Information researched and compiled by N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.