- Category: USS Arizona Survivor List
- Created: Friday, 01 October 1999 00:00
- Last Updated: Saturday, 28 May 2016 06:39
John MacRay Baker
John MacRay Baker 1973
- Branch: United States Marine Corps
- Rate: SGT (Sergeant)
- Onboard USS Arizona: 31 December 1940?
- Date of Birth: 1 December 1917
- Place of Birth: Sheridan, Wyoming
- Date of Death: 4 June 1974
- Place: Littlestown, Rhode Island
- At the time of his death, Mr. Baker was a Hanover school teacher and award winning columnist.
Mr. Baker retired from the Marine Corps. as a Captain. He received the Silver Star and Bronze Star for his services. He received five Purple Hearts for wounds suffered in action during WWII and in Korea.
He was married to the former Margaret Welty, who was an Army nurse from Emmitsburg, when they met while they were both stationed at Fort Lee, Virginia.
In 1973 he received three Freedoms Foundation Awards: A George Washington Medal.
At the time of his death in 1974, he had taught at the Hanover High School for five years, and had written a regular column, first for the Adams County Illustrated Press at Littlestown and then for the Evening Sun of Hanover.
Information researched and compiled by N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.