- Category: USS Arizona Survivor List
- Created: Friday, 01 October 1999 00:00
- Last Updated: Saturday, 28 May 2016 06:37
John Delmar Anderson
Boatswain's Mate Second Class
John D. Anderson 2014
- Branch: United States Navy
- Service Number: - Recently passed away, hidden for privacy
- Rate: BM2/c (Boatswain's Mate First Class)
- Duties: Work with canvas and hoisting with block and tackle. Handle rope, wire, and anchor chain. Handle power and sail boats. Steer ship and chart courses. Direct salvage.
- Enlisted: 16 March 1937
- Place: Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Onboard USS Arizona: 6 December 1940
- From: USS Ellet
- Transferred from USS Arizona: 7 December 1941
- To: USS MacDonough for Duty
- Date of Birth: 26 August 1917
- Place of Birth: Minnesota
- Date of Death: 14 Nov 2015
- Twin Brother Delbert Jake Anderson was KIA on the Arizona 7 December 1941
On December 7, 1941 John Anderson was setting up for church on the deck and was getting ready for breakfast when the Japanese first started attacking the USS Arizona. He helped evacuate wounded sailors and was forced to abandon ship by the commanding officer, despite his pleas that he wanted to find his twin brother, who was also serving on the Arizona. He later returned to the ship but never found his brother.
Information researched and compiled by N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.