- Category: USS Arizona Survivor List
- Created: Friday, 01 October 1999 07:00
- Last Updated: Saturday, 28 May 2016 06:44
Louis Anthony Conter
Quarter Master Third Class
Louis A. Conter 2014
- Branch: United States Navy
- Service Number: Living - Hidden for Privacy
- Rate: QM3/c (Quartermaster Third Class)
- Duties: Steer ship and take soundings. Use range finder. Plot bearings. Know signal control and navigation. Send and receive International Code by blinker, searchlight and semaphore.
- Enlisted: 15 November 1939
- Place: Denver, Colorado
- Onboard USS Arizona: 24 January 1940
- From: RS San Diego
- Date of Birth: Living - Hidden for Privacy
- Place of Birth: Wisconsin
Louis Conter's most vivid memory of December 7, 1941 came at 8:05am when a bomb hit the ammunition magazine located between Turrets I & II. The blast knocked him to the deck. Other sailors were blown off the side of the ship and into the water. "Guys started coming out of the fire and we would lay them down on the deck because we didn't want them jumping over the sides... When the Captain said 'Abandon ship!' we went into the life boats and started picking men out of the water and fire... When the second attack hit, we fought from the water." He spent the the next few weeks to helping put out fires and recovering the bodies of his shipmates.
In December 1967 Louis Conter retired from the Navy, with the rank of Lieutenant Commander, after serving for 23 years.
Information researched and compiled by N. A. Nease and provided on USSARIZONA.ORG free of charge.
May not be reprinted in any form, other than educational use, without prior written permission of the author.